Categories
Coronavirus News

Manager of demolished hotel among 27 new cases of Coronavirus – Rivers government

Manager of demolished hotel among 27 new cases of Coronavirus  ? Rivers government
Advertisements

The Rivers state government has announced that the manager of a hotel which was demolished by Governor Nyesom Wike for violating the lockdown order he issued, has tested positive for Coronavirus. 

Advertisements

In an announcement made on Sunday May 24, the Rivers government said the Manager of Prodest Hotel, Bariledum Azoroh is among the 27 new cases of coronavirus recorded in the State. 

Advertisements

The state’s commissioner for information, Paul Nsirim also recalled how some COVID-19 Taskforce members who went to enforce the Executive Order at same hotel, were allegedly ”brutalized and dehumanised leading to the death of one of them.”

Advertisements

The statement reads; 

Rivers State has recorded 27 new positive coronavirus cases.

The Manager of Prodest Hotel, Eleme is among the new positive cases.

This latest development validates the State Government’s proactive approach towards the fight against COVID-19.

Recall that Prodest Hotel was demolished two weeks ago because the owners violated Executive Order 7 which banned the operation of hotels.

The COVID-19 Taskforce members from the Local Government who went to enforce the Executive Order were brutalized and dehumanised leading to the death of one of them.

Manager of demolished hotel among 27 new cases of Coronavirus  ? Rivers government
Categories
Coronavirus Foreign News

Over 40 Coronavirus cases traced to church service in Germany after lockdown was eased

 Over 40 Coronavirus cases traced to church service in Germany after lockdown was eased
Advertisements

More than 40 people who attended a church service after lockdown was eased in Germany earlier this month have contracted coronavirus in Frankfurt, the head of the city’s health department told a news agency on Saturday.

Advertisements

The service was held on 10 May at a Baptist church in Frankfurt, the department’s deputy chief Antoni Walczok told local newspaper Frankfurter Rundschau.

Advertisements

Wladimir Pritzkau, the deputy head of Frankfurt’s Evangelical Christian Baptist congregation, confirmed the news and said that the rules were adhered to during the 20 May service.

Advertisements

He also said six of those infected were taken to hospital.

Advertisements

According to BBC, at least 16 of the people infected lived in Hanau, east of Frankfurt and as a result, the town has called off a prayer gathering that Muslim leaders had organised for this Sunday.

Advertisements

Germany were convinced to eased lockdown after a massive drop in Coronavirus cases. 

Advertisements

Over the past two weeks, shops have been reopened, pupils are returning to class and the Bundesliga has become the first major football league in Europe to resume amid the ongoing pandemic. 

Advertisements

Currently, Germany has 179,986 confirmed cases of Coronavirus with 8,366 deaths, and 159,900 recoveries so far. 

Categories
Coronavirus News

COVID-19: FG’s palliatives huge scam, give detailed account – PDP dares Buhari

The Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, has charged President Muhammadu Buhari-led Presidency to immediately make public detail of funds spent as palliatives to Nigerians.

Advertisements

PDP explained that the scheme which was aimed at cushioning the stay-home effect caused by COVID-19 pandemic had been exposed to ba a huge scam.

Advertisements

The opposition party made the call in a statement signed by its spokesman, Kola Ologbondiyan.

Advertisements

PDP also urged its state governors to help their counterparts in the All Progressives Congress, APC, in responding to the pandemic.

Advertisements

It stressed that had the Buhari-led Presidency involved the states and allowed for a multilayered, people-based approach in the distribution of palliatives, development of therapeutics and implementation of protocols, the situation would have been better handled.

Advertisements

The statement reads: “Now that the Buhari Presidency has come to its wits end, our party urges governors elected on the platform of the PDP to assist their colleagues in the APC with information, strategies and expertise, for an effective national response for the pandemic.

Advertisements

“Furthermore, we urge Mr. President and his PTF to do the nation a favour by taking accommodation in the backseat and allowing competent hands to manage the situation.

Advertisements

“Our party urges the state governors to brace up to the occasion and rally the private sector for homegrown solutions, which the APC-led Federal Government had failed to achieve due to sheer incompetence and
corruption.

Advertisements

“We, therefore, charge the Buhari Presidency to immediately give a detailed account of all funds and other resources it claimed to have spent, particularly on palliatives; a scheme that has been exposed to be a huge scam.”

Advertisements
Categories
Coronavirus Foreign News

Rwanda takes delivery of robots that can screen ‘150 people per minute’ for Coronavirus (photos)

Rwanda takes delivery of robots that can screen ?150 people per minute? for Coronavirus (photos)
Advertisements

The Rwandan government has taken delivery of 5 humanoid robots which can screen and deliver foods and drugs to those suffering from Coronavirus. 

Advertisements

BBC reported that the country’s health minister, Daniel Ngamije made the announcement on Tuesday May 19. He also disclosed that the robots were brought in to reduce the exposure of health workers to COVID-19 patients.

Ngamije said; 

“We need additional robots for other duties like disinfection in public space and we are working to get them.”

Rwanda takes delivery of robots that can screen ?150 people per minute? for Coronavirus (photos)

The 5 robots which were named Akazuba, Ikizere, Mwiza, Ngabo and Urumuri, are manufactured by a Belgium-based company. 

Rwanda’s health ministry says the units have a number of abilities, including:

  • Screening 50 to 150 people per minute
  • Recording and storing patient data
  • Alerting health workers to abnormalities
  • Warning people who aren’t wearing marks, or are wearing them improperly
Rwanda takes delivery of robots that can screen ?150 people per minute? for Coronavirus (photos)

There are two Coronavirus treatment facilities in Rwanda, one is on the outskirts of the capital Kigali and the other in the south-eastern town of Nyamata.

The country has so far recorded 308 confirmed cases of Coronavirus, 203 recoveries and no deaths. 

Categories
Celebrity News

Doctors accuse Kogi state government of frustrating efforts to test patients for COVID-19

Doctors accuse Kogi state government of frustrating efforts to test patients for COVID-19
Advertisements

The Kogi state government has been accused of frustrating health officials’ effort to test patients who have COVID-19 symptoms in the state. 

Advertisements

President of the Association of Resident Doctors, FMC Lokoja, Agwu Nnanna who lamented over the lack of adequate testing in a statement made available to newsmen last night, said the current state of things in the state has increased COVID-19 risk among health workers.

Advertisements

Nnanna also called on the federal ministry of health and the presidential task force on COVID-19 to “rally all relevant stakeholders in Kogi State to ensure that Coronavirus tests are carried out in the state for the safety of health workers,” as they might be forced to take their destinies into their own hands. 

Advertisements

He said; 

“Many patients with symptoms suggestive of COVID-19 have been seen severally in the hospital but efforts to get them tested were frustrated by the state government authorities. 

“There is a palpable fear at the Federal Medical Centre Lokoja as medical doctors and other health workers raise alarm of imminent danger posed by the Covid-19 pandemic to their lives.

“This was against the backdrop of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) report issued on 17th May 2020 that only a single Covid-19 test has been conducted in Kogi State since the disease was recorded in the country about three months ago.

“The doctors fear that they are at a high risk of contracting the disease and transmitting same to their families and other unsuspecting patients. It is a known fact that without Covid-19 tests, physicians cannot properly categorize and treat the patients coming into the hospital in accordance with the management protocols.

“The federal ministry of health and the presidential task force on COVID-19 should rally all relevant stakeholders in Kogi State to ensure that tests are being done to ensure the safety of the healthcare workers as they are now the most-at-risk population in the state.

“One cannot underestimate the impact of this disease on the lives of the families who have lost loved ones to it. As at today across the country 603 doctors have been exposed, 149 confirmed positive and 7 deaths recorded. We in FMC Lokoja do not wish to be joined in these statistics.”

The is coming after the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) disclosed that only one Coronavirus test has been carried out in the state in a situation report which countered the state government’s claim of testing 111 patients, which all turned out negative. 

Categories
Coronavirus News

Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 extends gradual easing of lockdown by two weeks

Breaking: Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 extends gradual easing of lockdown by two weeks
Advertisements

The Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 has announced the extension of the current phase of ease of the lockdown for another 2 weeks, effective from Monday 18th May to 1st June, 2020.

Advertisements

Chairman of the task force and Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, who announced this during the daily briefing of the task force team in Abuja today May 18, said the time is not ripe for the Federal government to relax its containment protocols against the Covid-19 pandemic. 

Advertisements

In his words
 

”The reality is that in spite of the modest progress made, Nigeria is not yet ready for full opening of the economy and tough decisions have to be taken for the good of the greater majority. Any relaxation will only portend grave danger for our populace.?

Advisedly, the current phase of eased restriction will be maintained for another two weeks during which stricter enforcement and persuasion measures will be pursued.

The two weeks extension of phase one of the eased restriction is also to enable other segments of the econmy to prepare adequately for compliance with the guidelines preparatory to opening in the coming weeks.

For the presidential task force, we share your pains but our future is in the hands of every Nigerians and future decisions will depend greatly on our compliance.

Based on the recommendations of the Presidential task force, Mr President has approved the following

1.The measures, exemptions, advisories as scopes of entities allowed to open under phase one of the ease lockdwon shall be maintained across the Federation for anothe rtwo weeks effective from Today 18th May until the 1st of June 2020.

2. Intensify efforts to tame, communicate, trace, identify and manage cases.

3. Elevating the level of community ownership of non-pharmaceutical interventions.

4.Mainatin the existing lockdon in Kano for another two weeks.

5. Imposition of precision lockdown in states or metropolitan and high burdened local governments that are reporting a rapidly increasing number of cases when the need arises. This will be complimented with the provisions of palliatives and continued re-evaluation of the impact of the interventions. and

6. Aggressive scale-up of efforts to ensure that communities are informed, engaged, and participating in the response with enhanced public awareness in high risk areas” he said

Categories
Coronavirus News

15 Chinese medical experts are in our care — CCECC MD

15 Chinese medical experts are in our care ? CCECC MD
Advertisements

Mr Michael Yigao, the Managing Director of China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation (CCECC) Nigeria Ltd has revealed that the 15 Chinese medical experts who arrived the country on April 8, are in their care. 

Advertisements

The CCECC MD disclosed this on Monday May 18, while reacting to questions on the whereabouts of Chinese medical expert by the media and opposition parties on May 14.

Advertisements

Yiago said the doctors came specially to help CCECC fight the Coronavirus and protect its employees. He added that they will return to China when flights are open. 

He said; 

“The team had a telecast meeting with the Minister of Health and some doctors around the country and shared their experience in China on how they’re fighting the virus and the meeting was very positive.

“They are here with us and have continued to teach our staff how to protect themselves because protection and prevention are more important than the treatment.

“Most of the workers understand the situation now and they know the risk, so they follow the proper procedures and cooperate with their instructors,” he said.

“Right now, commercial flight to China is not open, but when flights are open again, we’re considering the team going back to China.

“In a big country like Nigeria, it can be a bit difficult to control a pandemic because you will have to make all the people of such a large country understand that it is serious and real thing.

“I think Nigeria is taking this very seriously and you can see it in the implementation of the lockdown and the suspension of international flights etc.

“And like other companies in Nigeria, we will do whatever we can to help the country, like building treatment centres and training people on how to handle the virus”.

Categories
Coronavirus News

COVID-19 is a scam. They did not plan the drama before they went on stage – Discharged Delta patient alleges

COVID-19 is a scam. They did not plan the drama before they went on stage - Discharged Delta patient alleges
Advertisements

A woman who is among the recovered COVID-19 patients recently discharged in Delta State, has alleged that the virus is a scam in Nigeria.

Advertisements

The patient, a 36-year-old woman, was diagnosed positive for COVID-19 on April 17.

Advertisements

She refused to believe the result of the test  but was taken to the COVID-19 Isolation/Treatment Center in Warri where she was kept for 17 days. She was discharged after reportedly testing negative for the virus. 

Advertisements

Upon her discharge, the patient spoke to journalists and insisted that she never received or saw her COVID-19 test results. She claimed that COVID-19 is a scam in Nigeria because her family members who were in close contact with her were not infected.

Advertisements

She said: “It was an audio result that I got. They called me to tell me that I was positive but did not give me any result. Before I was taken there I already said the virus is not in this country. We cannot curb its spread if it is in this nation. The disease may be in the western world, but not here. Keeping me there (Isolation Center) was against my wish.

“The markets are crowded; if it is here more people would have been affected. The banks are also crowded. It’s a scam in this nation. I am a witness. I have been there. I may have stayed at the isolation centre, but I do not see myself as a COVID-19 patient.

“My friend who was with me before I was admitted is living his normal life. He is fine. His test was negative. How about my family at home? When I was sick my mother was the one bathing me and even slept in the same room with me many times. She is almost 70 and still living her normal life. Imagine the close contact she had with me.

“They did not plan the drama before they went on stage. They would have quarantined my family. The reports that the doctors that attended to me were all tested positive for COVID-19 are all fabricated stories.”

Categories
Coronavirus News

President Buhari receives post lockdown report from COVID-19 task force team (photos)

President Buhari receives post lockdown report from COVID-19 task force team (photos)
Advertisements

President Buhari today Sunday, May 17, received a situation report from members of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19.

Advertisements

The President in March, imposed a lockdown in Lagos, Abuja and Ogun state due to the Coronavirus pandemic. The lockdown was eased on May 4 and replaced with a ban on interstate travels and a curfew from 8pm-6am nationwide.

Advertisements

The task force which is chaired by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Boss Mustapha, met with the President at the State House in Abuja today where they briefed him on the level of compliance to the guidelines issued before the easing of the lockdown on May 4.

Advertisements

Also present at the meeting were the Minister of Health Osagie Ehanire, NCDC DG Chikwe Ihekweazu,  PTF National Coordinator, Dr Sani Aliyu; and others.

President Buhari receives post lockdown report from COVID-19 task force team (photos)
President Buhari receives post lockdown report from COVID-19 task force team (photos)
President Buhari receives post lockdown report from COVID-19 task force team (photos)
President Buhari receives post lockdown report from COVID-19 task force team (photos)
President Buhari receives post lockdown report from COVID-19 task force team (photos)
President Buhari receives post lockdown report from COVID-19 task force team (photos)
President Buhari receives post lockdown report from COVID-19 task force team (photos)
President Buhari receives post lockdown report from COVID-19 task force team (photos)
President Buhari receives post lockdown report from COVID-19 task force team (photos)
Categories
Coronavirus Foreign News

15 more COVID-19 patients discharged in Lagos

15 more COVID-19 patients discharged in Lagos
Advertisements

15 more COVID-19 patients have been discharged in Lagos.

Advertisements

According to a tweet shared on the state Ministry of Health’s official Twitter handle, 9 females and 6 males, all Nigerians were discharged from the Yaba, LUTH & Agidingbi Isolation facilities today May 17.

Advertisements

”15 #COVID19Lagos patients; 9 females & 6 males, all Nigerians have been discharged from our Yaba, LUTH & Agidingbi Isolation facilities to reunite with the society.

The patients; 9 from Mainland Infectious Disease Hospital, Yaba, 1 from Agidingbi & 5 from LUTH Isolation Centres have fully recovered & tested negative to #COVID19 in two consecutive readings.” the tweet read

This brings to 623, number of confirmed cases that have been discharged in Lagos