Categories
Celebrity Foreign News

Jussie Smollett pleads not guilty to new criminal charges in Chicago

Jussie Smollett pleads not guilty to new criminal charges in Chicago

Jussie Smollett returned to court Monday morning in Chicago to enter not guilty pleas to new felony charges accusing him of lying to Chicago police about being the victim of a racist and homophobic attack last year.

The actor appeared at the Cook County courthouse with his family members and lawyer Tina Glandian, who entered not guilty pleas to each of the six counts. She also requested Judge James B. Linn to stop the case, WGN Chicago reports.

Abel and Ola Osundairo, the two Nigerian brothers who claimed he paid them to attack him were also in court with their attorney. 

Smollett had pleaded not guilty to 16 counts last year before the Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx’s office announced it was dismissing the case. But retired appellate judge Sheila O’Brien later petitioned the court to appoint a special prosecutor to reopen the case and examine why charges against Smollett were dropped.

Jussie Smollett pleads not guilty to new criminal charges in Chicago

The case is now being handled by Special Prosecutor Dan Webb who was appointed to represent the state. Webb is also investigating Foxx’s office and how they handled the case.

Smollett, who is black and gay, told police that two masked men attacked him as he was walking home in January 2019. He said they made racist and homophobic insults, beat him and looped a noose around his neck before fleeing, and that at least one of his attackers was a white man who told him he was in “MAGA country,” a reference to President Donald Trump’s campaign slogan, “Make America Great Again.”

Weeks later, police alleged that Smollett had paid two Nigerian brothers, Ola and Abel Osundairo $3,500 to stage the attack.

Categories
Government

Nigerian courts should enforce a law that’ll give married women 70% of their husbands assets after a divorce – Joro Olumofin

Nigerian courts should enforce a law that

Popular relationship doctor, Joro Olumofin feels married women should be entitled to 70% of their husbands assets after a divorce

According to him, ‘It’s so sad. Nigerian wives are suffering every day because there are no stringent consequences to Infidelity in a marriage. Perfidy and Lewdness is in the DNA of 85% of Nigerian men because having more than 1 girlfriend is a sign of success and good health’.

He went on to say, ‘the victims of these behaviors are Nigerian wives who look on in destitute as their husbands break their vows on a daily basis without any consequences.

The Nigerian Courts should enforce a “70% – 30%” Law in the case of infidelity by a Husband. 70% of assets go to a wife if her husband cheats. This will secure the future of women after a divorce and reduce duplicity by men in marriages’.

Categories
Football Foreign News Sport

Sir Alex Ferguson accused of fixing Manchester United match against Juventus and was gifted a £30k gold Rolex watch

Sir Alex Ferguson accused of fixing Manchester United match against Juventus and was gifted a ?30k gold Rolex watch

Former Manchester United manager, Alex Ferguson allegedly fixed a football match with a corrupt agent who gave him a £30,000 gold Rolex, a court heard today.

Football agent, Giuseppe ‘Pino’ Pagliara, 64, made the claims to an undercover reporter posing as a businesswoman looking to invest in football players, jurors were told.

Pagliara is on trial for bribery at Southwark Crown Court alongside assistant head coach of Barnsley Football Club Tommy Wright and fellow football agent Dax Price. All three deny the charges.

The trio were charged following allegations of corruption published by the Daily Telegraph in 2016, one of which led to Sam Allardyce resigning as England manager.

He said the legendary manager fixed a champions league game against Italian giants Juventus and alleged Ferguson pocketed money from transfer deals, Southwark Crown Court heard.

Pagliara and fellow agent Dax Price allegedly tried to “impress” Claire Newell by arranging meetings with prominent footballing figures such as Steve McLaren, Harry Redknapp, and manager Neil Warnock, prosecuter Brian O’Neill QC told Southwark Crown Court.

O’Neil said Pagliara claimed that “99 percent of the people in football if they weren’t in football, would be selling second-hand cars.”

Pagliara was said to be“furious” with Redknapp for suggesting the reporter should buy a football club instead of using a legal loophole to get around a ban on third-party ownership of players in England during a meeting in July 2016, the court heard.

Describing another meeting, Mr O’Neill said: “Towards the end of the meeting Pagliara launched into what could only be described as a diatribe of Sir Alex Ferguson, accusing him of having conspired with Pagliara to fix the result of a football match between Juventus, a club which Pagliara was associated with, and Manchester United in the Champions League for which Pagliara had thanked him with a gold 30 grand Rolex watch.

“Pagliara went on to accuse Sir Alex Ferguson of having taken money as part of transfer deals. He claimed that he had paid Ferguson before.”

He added: “To the outside world, the plan being espoused by Mr. Pagliara, it would look as though the player in question was owned by the football club in Belgium when actually the player was owned by a third party.

“And that, said Pagliara, was the plan that he wanted to end upbringing to England because that’s where the money is.

“He went to speak about placing players in Italian clubs where he had various connections before moving them to England.

“‘You have to have an offshore account somewhere and that’s where we do it. For example Antonio Conte [then head coach at Chelsea[ has winked at us and said, “yeah, I want that player, is there a little coffee for me Pino?”’

“A little coffee, she said. ‘Yeah, that’s what he’ll say: yeah of course there is and now I’m negotiating a coffee as well and we are not talking about a double espresso.’

“He went on to say he would disguise it as a consultancy agreement by another trusted individual.

“‘Claire, I’ve opened so many Swiss bank accounts for managers that you would not believe’.”

Tommy Wright, 53, then assistant head coach of Championship club Barnsley, accepted a cash bribe to get players to sign up with the agents, the court was told.

Undercover reporter Claire Newell and her team set up a fake company and told Pagliara and Price that she wanted to invest in football players, jurors heard.

The court was told that they arranged for a £5,000 bribe to be handed in an envelope to Scots-born Wright, who played top-flight football for Leeds, Leicester City, Oldham, and Middlesbrough.

Wright, of Barnsley, South Yorkshire, denies two counts of accepting a bribe, while Pagliara, 64, of Bury, Greater Manchester, and Price, 48, of Sittingbourne, Kent, deny two counts of paying and facilitating a bribe.

The prosecutor said of Mr Price: “He went on to say this: ‘There are certain people like Harry Redknapp; he needs looking after. There are certain people like Neil Warnock.’

“It’s no part of this prosecution to malign those individuals about whom they spoke.

“These people were not present when these things were being said about them and were in no position therefore to challenge, deny or rebut those allegations.

“However, it’s significant evidence in the case of the defendant who said the words and any other defendant who was present and did not disassociate themselves from those words.

“And that’s because it’s evidence of that defendant’s knowledge or belief of corruption within football in this country and elsewhere and his willingness in just to condone such practices, but also to embrace and exploit them and that’s why this evidence is relevant and admissible.”

The trial continues.

Categories
#Entertainment #Celebrity Celebrity Entertainment News

G-Worldwide sues Kizz Daniel for N500m

G-Worldwide sues Kizz Daniel for N500m

Kizz Daniel has been dragged back to court by his former record label, G-Worldwide who are seeking N500m in damages over an alleged breach of contract. 

The Label in the lawsuit filed by its counsel Dr. Olisa Agbakoba (SAN), are seeking the sum ofTwo Hundred Million Naira (N200,000,000) in damages, One Hundred and Seventy-Nine Million, Four Hundred and Ninety-Nine Thousand, Nine Hundred and Fifty-Seven Naira (N179,499,957) in special damages for breach of contract, One Hundred and Fifty Million Naira (N150, 000, 000) for contract exit fees, among other reliefs.

Recall a court injunction issued against the singer stopped him from performing throughout December 2017, hence the name change to Kizz Daniel as his former stage name ‘Kiss Daniel’ was trademarked by G-Worldwide. Kizz Daniel was then able to float his record label ‘Flyboy Entertainment’ and also released his sophomore album ‘No Bad Songz’. 

When the matter came up before the Federal High Court on Monday, October 7, 2019, GWW through its Solicitors informed the Court that it had filed an application seeking two alternative prayers; A prayer for stay of proceedings pending reference of the matter to arbitration as provided under the enabling contract between both parties and a prayer granting leave to amend its originating process.

The case which was brought before a High Court sitting in Lagos was adjourned till January 21, 2020. 

Categories
News

Woman begs court to dissolve 12-year-old marriage over threats to life

Toyin Babatunde, an Ibadan-based hair dresser and mother of three, on Friday, begged a Mapo Customary Court in Ibadan to dissolve her 12-year-old marriage to her husband, Muili, over alleged battery and lack of care.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Toyin, who resides at Ayegun area of Ibadan, in her petition brought before Chief Ademola Odunade, the President of the court,said that she might lose her life if the court did not put an end to the union because Muili was always beating her.

she said “Ever since I got married to Muili, I had never known any happy moment because he constantly subjects me to battery and hunger.

“In fact, he has done nothing about the education of our three children, let alone providing for their feeding and other welfare.

“The children and I are living like refugees in his house.”

Although the respondent consented to the suit, he, however, denied all the allegations levelled against him by his estranged wife.

Muili told the court that the marriage between him and his wife was an error and product of sin because she got pregnant for him through an ungodly process.

He said “Even though I also want this marriage terminated, I want the court to know that Toyin had always been unfaithful to me.

“She got to my house with nothing and I placed her somewhere to learn a trade, but she ran away from there.

“After that, Toyin started fornicating around the community and she even abandoned me for four years when she became uncomfortable with my disposition towards her attitude.

“She returned again, but she never stopped her adulterous attitude.

“We no longer live together and she has taken the children to her mother where they are now made to hawk petty goods around instead of allowing them to go to the school where I had registered them.”

Odunade after examining the case carefully requested the two parties to furnish the court with more evidences to substantiate their arguments.

He, thereafter, adjourned the matter till Sept. 11 for continuation of hearing.

Categories
News

Court to hear El-Zakzaky’s application to travel abroad on July 18


The State Director of Public Prosecution, Mr Dari Bayero told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Wednesday in Kaduna that the application would be heard on Thursday.

Ibrahim El-Zakzaky, Shiite leader
Ibrahim El-Zakzaky, Shiite leader
A Kaduna State High Court will on Thursday hear the application of the leader of Islamic Movement in Nigeria (IMN), Ibrahim El-Zakzaky and wife, Zinat, seeking to travel to India for medical attention.

The State Director of Public Prosecution, Mr Dari Bayero told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Wednesday in Kaduna that the application would be heard on Thursday.

Bayero said the IMN leader brought the application seeking permission to travel to Medanta Hospital, New Delhi, India and return to Nigeria as soon as they are discharged.

Bayero said that Justice D.H Khobo would preside over the hearing on the application on July 18.