On Saturday night December 7, British-Nigerian boxer Joshua reclaimed his four heavyweight belts lost in June 1 to Mexican heavyweight Andy Ruiz, but he was roasted by his undefeated rival, Wilder who claimed Joshua’s win over Ruiz was like that of a ‘weak champion’, saying he ran around the ring to avoid being knocked out by Ruiz.
Reacting to Wilder’s statement, Joshua said;
“That’s Wilder’s opinion.” A lot of people don’t have a good bone in their body to say a positive thing anyway. I outboxed the heavyweight champion of the world for 12 rounds. I don’t think I lost a round. Maybe one
“I come in there with a great game plan, I’m successful. Isn’t that good enough?
“You can’t box to keep everyone happy; you have to box for the win. And I feel like when I’m at home celebrating, he’s there talking about negativity. Negative energy breeds failure so I’m just going to keep a positive mindset and build on that victory”.
Shops plundered, cars burned in Johannesburg as trucks torched in KZN amid rallies linked to anti-foreigner sentiment.
Police have arrested scores of people in South Africa‘s commercial capital, Johannesburg, after protesters looted what appeared to be foreign-owned shops and set fire to cars and buildings.
At least 70 people were arrested, the police said in a statement on Monday,in the second outbreak of urban rioting in a week.
Hundreds of people marched in Johannesburg’s Central Business District (CBD) earlier in the day, demanding foreigners leave, according to local news agency News 24.
They targeted “shops they believed to be owned by foreign nationals”, the news website reported.
Police fired rubber bullets at looters as burned cars were stranded on the roads.
“Police are condemning all acts of violence directed at the businesses and the looting of shops described as those of foreign nationals by criminal opportunists,” the office of the provincial commissioner said in a statement on Facebook.
Police also said they were investigating a death in Hillbrow, a residential neighbourhood in central Johannesburg, where a “member of the public” was allegedly shot by a group.
“At this stage [we] are still interviewing several people to establish the motive,” it said.
Pedestrians pass burnt-out cars on the side of a street on the outskirts of Johannesburg on Monday, September 2, 2019 [The Associated Press]
Officials dismissed reports that the ongoing attacks were xenophobic.
“Xenophobia is just an excuse that is being used by people to commit criminal acts,” Police Minister Bheki Cele told reporters on Monday afternoon. “It is not xenophobia, but pure criminality.”
In a statement on Monday, the South African Human Rights Commission said it was “deeply concerned by violence, looting, arson and vandalism plaguing much of Johannesburg.”
Meanwhile, Nigeria‘s Foreign Minister Geoffrey Onyeama reacted strongly to the scenes of violence on Monday.
“Received sickening and depressing news of continued burning and looting of Nigerian shops and premises in #SouthAfrica by mindless criminals with ineffective police protection,” he said on Twitter. “Enough is enough. We will take definitive measures.”
In 2015, Nigeria had recalled its ambassador to South Africa following a spate of attacks against immigrants.
South Africa is a major destination for economic migrants from other parts of the continent, including the Southern Africa region, with many moving from neighbouring Lesotho, Mozambique and Zimbabwe in search of work.
The unrest started on Sunday when an old building in the CBD caught fire and collapsed, killing at least three people. It then spread to two eastern suburbs and to the executive capital, Pretoria, where local media reported shops burning in Marabastad – a central business area largely populated by economic migrants.
Last week, hundreds of protesters in Pretoria set fire to buildings, looted mostly foreign-owned businesses and clashed with police, who fired rubber bullets at the crowds. The chaos broke out after local taxi drivers clashed with alleged drug dealers in the area, according to the Sowetan newspaper.
On Monday, a pamphlet circulating on social media, seen by The Associated Press news agency, encouraged South Africans to chase foreigners out of their communities.
The pamphlet, attributed to a group called the Sisonke Peoples Forum, accused foreigners living in South Africa of selling drugs and stealing jobs, both common refrains during the regular flare-ups of violence against foreigners in the greater Johannesburg area in recent years.
The main opposition Democratic Alliance party said: “These incidents are due to a failing economy in which more than 10 million South Africans cannot find work.”
Both the ruling African National Congress and the Democratic Alliance have been accusedof stoking xenophobia.
Looters take items from an alleged foreign-owned shop during a riot in the Johannesburg suburb of Turffontein on September 2, 2019 [Michele SpatariAFP]
The violence comes amid a wave of protests in the transport industry linked to anti-foreigner sentiment.
Zambia‘s government on Monday called on Zambian truck drivers to avoid travelling to South Africa and those already in the country to park their vehicles “until the security situation improves”.
Truck drivers in the southeastern province of KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) started a nationwide strike on Sunday to protest against the employment of foreign drivers. KZN police said 11 trucks blocked the road to Richards Bay Harbour, one of the deepest natural harbours in Africa.
They told AFP news agency that at least four vehicles had been torched.
At least 20 people had been arrested “in connection with incidents related to protests within the trucking industry”, KZN police said.
Lieutenant-General Khombinkosi Jula, police chief for KZN province, said they had intensified patrols along major routes.
Sipho Zungu, chairman of the All Truck Drivers Foundation, told AFP his group had had “nothing to do with the strike”, but stressed that it was fighting for the employment of South African drivers.
“People of South Africa are hungry, they are sitting at home.. while companies in South Africa are employing foreigners … [because] its cheap labour. We are hungry and angry,” Zungu told AFP.
The South African Transport and Allied Workers Union (SATAWU), which has over 200,000 members, also distanced itself from the violence.
South Africa’s Road Freight Association told local media in June that more than 200 people have been killed in attacks on foreign truck drivers since March 2018.
Toke Makinwa has joined in condemning the renewed xenophobic attacks carried out on Nigerians living in South Africa by indigenes.
The media personality took to Instagram to reveal that her “heart is broken” by the attacks. She mentioned that South Africans live and work in Nigeria and are allowed to thrive.
She went on to ask the South Africans who have shown her love to “stand up for what is right.”
We are all Africans, this is such a huge blow, it’s like we take 10 steps forward and 50 back. We have come so far from the dark ages yet we kill each other, just hearing about the Xenophobic attack in South Africa and my heart is broken, I cannot even begin to watch the gruesome videos, why?
Why so much hate in the world? Why do we compete so much it becomes less healthy and more evil, what exactly is the point to all the killing? I love the people of South Africa, I know so many hardworking South Africans and you all have shown me love and so I implore you all to stand up for what is right.
We all cannot continue in silence, if hate lingers nobody wins. Our doors have been nothing but welcoming to you all, we have so many South Africans living and working here, we make music together, promote our fashion to the rest of the world explore both cultures. Now let’s come together to fight this evil in our midst. We are all Africans, a win for us is for us to the world. United. This is so sad, so disturbing, so painful. One Love
Nigeria’s foreign affairs Minister, Geoffrey Onyeama has reacted to the viral videos of burning and looting of shops and properties owned by Nigerians in South Africa.
MB had reported earlier that theviolent xenophobic attacksmeted out on Nigerians by South Africans, pushed some into hiding in bushes.
Reacting to the report and viral videos, Onyeama stated that the Nigerian government will be taking definitive measures over the attacks in which there was no effective police protection.
Received sickening and depressing news of continued burning and looting of Nigerian shops and premises in #SouthAfrica by mindless criminals with ineffective police protection. Enough is enough. We will take definitive measures.
President Buhari says the 77 Nigerians recently arrested by the US Federal Bureau of Intelligence FBI, for online scam, do not represent the values of majority of Nigerians.
The President broke his silence on the arrest of the Nigerians when he met with leaders of the Nigerian Community living in Japan on the sidelines of the Seventh Tokyo International Conference on African Development (TICAD7).
“Let me also say that there are few Nigerians in the Diaspora that are giving us a bad name by engaging in criminal activities. These Nigerians are a minority, they do not represent the values of our country, and I plead with them to change their ways.
We will not condone any crime whether at home or abroad, and we will also not allow these Nigerians define us as a people with reputation for criminality.” he said
Urging Nigerians in Japan to be good ambassadors of their fatherland, President Buhari said
“I am personally very happy that there are millions of Nigerians all over the world, like you here, who are truly making us proud”.
Describing majority of the over 17 million Nigerians in Diaspora as the face of Nigeria globally and our ambassadors for good, the President noted that many of our Diasporans, like your good selves here today, have excelled in various fields of endeavor, both professionally and individually.
“You have also made significant and overwhelmingly positive contributions to your Nigerian and international host communities. You have continually been a positive bridge between Nigeria and the world. It is not an easy feat and we commend you, salute your courage and efforts.
Japan is at the cutting edge of technology and efficiency, two very important attributes that can play a role in Nigeria and improve our capacity for development,” President Buhari urged members of his audience to continue to contribute their quota by helping to develop their host country and Nigeria as well, adding: “I look forward to your inborn gift, ability, and capacity in taking up this challenge.”
Commending many of them who are already “positively impacting the Nigerian economy through financial home remittances, promoting international trade in Nigerian commodities, our music, culture, tourism, sports, and education, while also helping to establish industries in Nigeria,” the President urged them “to encourage legitimate Japanese entrepreneurs to come and invest in Nigeria.”
According to him
“We are continually working to create the necessary enabling environment for investors to thrive, through improvements in our Ease of Doing Business practices, providing security, diversification of the economy, infrastructure and fighting corruption. We have put in place the Economic Recovery and Growth Plan (ERPG) to put the country on a path of sustained recovery and growth.”
Explaining the rationale for his regular meetings with Nigerians abroad and the establishment of the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, President Buhari said:
“As you are aware, I have regularly held town hall meetings with Nigerians in the Diaspora on all my foreign engagements be they in Europe, Asia, America and Africa.
“At these fora, I have always, appealed to our citizens to be our good ambassadors, observe the laws of your host countries, excel in whatever you do legitimately, and also remember us at home (Nigeria). I have established the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission specifically to engage with you, signifying a coordinated attempt by our administration to increase the involvement of our Diaspora in our national development.
“Collectively, your resources, skills, and talents will be a positive force for our country which can help accelerate our national growth and development.”
Members of the proscribed Indigenious Pople of Biafra IPOB this morning, stormed the residence of the Nigerian Ambassador to Japan with some police officers in a bid to arrest President Buhari.
In a video posted online, the group members claim the man in the Ambassador’s residence is not President Buhari and that they are there with their doctor to carry out a DNA test on President Buhari to determine if he is not Jubril from Sudan.
They say if they carry out the test and find out the man in the residence is not President Buhari, they will hand him over to the police for prosecution.
Watch a video of them in front of the Ambassador’s house below
A lady took to Twitter to share her scary experience at the hands of a sexual predator. According to @Leslyjenniferr, the sexual predator approached her for her phone number and when she refused, he kidnapped her and tried to rape her. Thankfully, she was able to fight him off. See her posts and more photos below.
Andy Ruiz has finally confirmed his rematch with Anthony Joshua is on and it will take place in Saudi Arabia in December.
The Mexican-American heavyweight champion who defeated Joshua in June to win the WBA, IBF, WBO and IBO heavyweight titles took to Instagram in the early hours of Saturday morning (August 24) to confirm his rematch with the British-Nigerian boxer.
I’m excited to announce my rematch with Anthony Joshua. In the first fight, I made history and became the first-ever Mexican/American heavyweight champion of the world. I am grateful to Saudi Arabia for inviting me.
I took it to AJ in The Big Apple and I’m looking forward to ending his career in the Desert. Don’t miss this fight! Mostraré la grandeza del boxeo mexicano en Arabia Saudita y en todos los rincones del mundo. Viva Mexico!!!”
The fight between the British-Nigerian boxer and the Mexican-American star which is billed as the ‘Clash on the Dunes’, will take place on the 7th of December in Diriyah.
A Jamaican man identified as Leon Haughton was detained for almost three months in the United States after bringing in bottles of honey from the Caribbean island that customs agents mistakenly believed to be liquid methamphetamine.
Haughton’s long ordeal began on December 29th 2018 at Baltimore-Washington International Airport when customs agents had a dog sniff his bags. Inside they found three bottles duly labelled as honey that Haughton, a 45-year-old father of three, uses to sweeten his tea.
According to the charging document, the agents suspected him of transporting liquid methamphetamine, and placed him in detention. Laboratory results from Maryland took more than two weeks to arrive: they were negative. Haughton thought that was the end of it. He was wrong.
The bottles were sent to a second laboratory in Georgia after the first was judged to be insufficiently equipped to analyze the liquids. Although he had a green card granting him legal residence in the United States, Haughton’s arrest set in motion a detention process with the US immigration service.
His lawyer had enormous difficulty contacting immigration authorities and for good reason. The US government had been partially shut down as a result of a budget impasse between President Donald Trump and Democrats over his demand for funding to build a wall on the border with Mexico.
The tests in Georgia, meanwhile, finally confirmed that Haughton was indeed transporting honey. He was freed on March 21, 82 days after he returned from vacation. Unable to work for three months and far from his children, Haughton lost his two jobs as a cleaner and construction worker. “They messed up my life,” he told the Post, looking back on a bitter ordeal that even honey will be unable to sweeten.
No fewer than sixty firefighters are currently battling a fire in a tower block close to Grenfell Tower in west London.
Firefighters can be seen on a balcony dousing the walls with water after flames went up the building and kept spreading.
London Fire Brigade said it was called at 11.39am to a report of “smoke issuing” from a building on Darfield Way.
Danielle Bond, who was watching on from a nearby office block, claimed the fire had spread to six floors.
She said: “The fire is spreading upwards, don’t know what it’s like inside but flames are going up the building on one side.’
A spokesman for the London Fire Brigade said: “Eight fire engines and around 60 firefighters have been called to reports of smoke in Darfield Way in Notting Hill. Fire crews are currently investigating.
“The Brigade’s 999 control officers have taken 25 calls to the incident. The Brigade was called at 1139. Fire crews from North Kensington, Kensington, Fulham, Park Royal, Chelsea, West Hampstead and Soho fire stations are at the scene.”
We’re aware of the fire in Darfield Way and have several officers on the scene to assess the cause. We will keep you informed of any updates as we receive them.
A spokesman for the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea said: “We’re aware of the fire in Darfield Way and have several officers on the scene to assess the cause. We will keep you informed of any updates as we receive them.”
The fire incident comes two years after the nearby Grenfell tower went up in flames, leading to the death of 72 and causing injury to scores. The Grenfell tower fire incident hapened on 14 June 2017.